Everything is fine

But what a 26 hours we’ve had.

I was out running errands yesterday. While I was out, my doctor’s office called to tell me that the round of antibiotics I had recently finished had not cleared up my group B strep infection. I needed to pick up my new prescription and decided to drive there because I was already in the car, it was snowing, and I just knew that if I attempted to walk the few blocks to the pharmacy, I’d end up falling.

Guess what I did walking from the car to the pharmacy. Yup. I don’t know what really happened because it happened so fast. I landed on my hands and knees, but I have no idea if I hit my belly. A man tried to help me up and offered to call me an ambulance. I told him I was fine and that I’d get up in a minute, but thanks anyway. My knees hurt so badly that there was no way I could stand yet.

I called my doctor’s office and they had me go straight in just to be safe. They hooked me up to the monitor and planned on keeping me for an hour. The little dude was doing great, but the monitor was picking up some contractions. Because I couldn’t say for sure if I’d hit my belly, they sent me to the hospital to be monitored for four hours.

I was started on fluids after we got settled because the monitor was still showing contractions, then I started to feel them. The doctor checked my cervix to make sure I wasn’t dilating, and in the process, she saw my knees. She then decided I needed an ultrasound, mainly to check on my placenta, because my knees made her think my fall was harder than she’d realized. Fortunately, my cervix was still closed.

The ultrasound was fine and our little giant’s weight is an estimated 3lb 8oz. He’s obviously still tiny, but for someone whose first baby was 1lb 9oz, he’s the giant dinosaur baby I’ve been hoping for. As my contractions continued, they decided to keep me overnight and start some medication. The contractions still didn’t stop, so overnight turned into 24 hours. The contractions have continued, but I’m not feeling them 99%?of the time. My cervix has held strong, so I was eventually released. They’re thinking my infection is causing the contractions, but who knows, seeing how I didn’t feel a thing before my fall.

This kid apparently thinks the hospital is the coolest place in the world and didn’t stay still for more than a minute at a time. Actually, I think he thinks the fetal monitor is the worst thing in the world and he was doing whatever he could to get away from it. Nurses had to adjust the monitor more times than I can count, and every person who came into our room informed us that we’re going to have our hands full. I am looking forward to that.

They’ll obviously continue monitoring me closely, and I’m surprisingly not as freaked out as I would have expected. The nurses kept assuring me that we’ll make it to February, and if for some reason we don’t, we will most likely be fine because there is such a huge difference between 24 weeks and 31 weeks. Hopefully we won’t have to experience those differences first hand.

Now if you’ll please excuse me so Dave can duct tape me to the couch…

8 thoughts on “Everything is fine

  1. Oh dear, are you sure duct tape will be sufficient? How about a rope AND duct tape!

    Be careful and so glad everything is OK. Praying your last weeks are uneventful.

  2. OH my gosh! I am so glad you are okay! That’s crazy. I remember being so terrified of falling when I was pregnant. I can’t believe you’re 31 weeks already, everyones pregnancies seem to be flying by! Thinking of you!

  3. Young lady – I have to worry about you more at age 32 than I did when you were 2! Hope Dave bought LOTS of duct tape. Keep those very banged-up knees together and sit still, please!! Love you, Mom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *